Haas, Johann
Feder, Barbara
Hatt, Daniel
Jager, Karolina
Haas, John Joseph
Hatt, Karolina Paulina
Haas, Emil George


Family Links

1. Bozerskowsy, Annie

2. Christ, Anna Barbara

Haas, Emil George 1

  • Born: Feb 17, 1879, Mascoutah, St. Clair, Illinois, USA
  • Marriage (1): Bozerskowsy, Annie on Mar 15, 1905
  • Marriage (2): Christ, Anna Barbara on Feb 12, 1918
  • Died: May 28, 1951 at age 72
  • Buried: Mascoutah, St. Clair, Illinois, USA


Emil married Annie Bozerskowsy, daughter of Unknown and Mary Francis Kraus, on Mar 15, 1905. (Annie Bozerskowsy was born on Oct 7, 1885 in Lisbon Falls, Androscoggin, Maine, USA, died on Sep 16, 1911 and was buried in Mascoutah, St. Clair, Illinois, USA.)

bullet  Marriage Notes:

Emil & Annie met at the St. Louis World’s Fair of 1904 and were married in Lebanon on 5/15/1905. They lived on an eighty-acre farm on Perrin Road, Section 8, which now belongs to the estate of Clara Anstedt. The census of 1910 shows Michael & Francis Bauman & their nine-year-old son Alexander, who was born in Maine, living as neighbors to Emil & Annie & their five-month-old Albin. Other neighbors were Xavier Dierberger; Henry Richter; Nicholas Perrin & Albert Bee.

Albin was only eighteen months old when his mother died, so his maternal grandparents took care of him. When they heard that his father was going to get married again, they moved back to Lisbon Falls, Maine and took him with them.

He died on 6/15/1930 at the age of twenty of a ruptured appendix. They sent a telegram to his father notifying him that he had died. Emil requested them to send the body to Mascoutah for burial. The answer was “NO”.

Mildred Haas-Fellin- 1992


Emil next married Anna Barbara Christ, daughter of Michael Christ and Julia Schnebelin, on Feb 12, 1918. (Anna Barbara Christ was born on Mar 20, 1881 in Mascoutah, St. Clair, Illinois, USA, died on Mar 18, 1967 and was buried in Mascoutah, St. Clair, Illinois, USA.)

bullet  Marriage Notes:

It was a second marriage for both Mom and Dad. Mom’s first husband had died of double pneumonia and Dad’s first wife had died of cancer. Elnora Christ-Lischer still remembers going to the wedding in the surrey. Xavier (Shorty) was groomsman & drove the surrey, with Dad riding beside him in front. Mom & Aunt Ella rode in the back seat. No one else was at the wedding, just the four of them.

They lived on the farm in Mascoutah Township which had been owned by Dad’s father & grandfather. They attended St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Lebanon until 1933, when they transferred to Holy Childhood Church in Mascoutah so that Celie and I could attend a Catholic school. We would wear our Sunday best to Mass. Mom would always tie Dad’s tie. He wore suspenders under his suit coat. After Mass, Dad would go to the tavern nearby to have a glass of beer and buy a nickel cigar, which he would enjoy the rest of the day. As soon as we got home, he would change into his favorite Oshkosh B’Gosh overalls. Mom wore a bib apron when she worked. Sunday was a day of rest, and no work was done, except the cooking. Visitors were always welcome and invited to stay for dinner.

Mom & Dad spoke English and German. They loved to play pinochle and they taught Celie & me how to play when we wee very young, so that the four of us could play every winter evening after supper.

In the summertime, Celie & I would take lunch to Dad in the field at 9:00 am and 3:00pm - a sandwich and a pint thermos of hot coffee. He would kneel on the ground while he ate and when he was finished, he would go back to work and we would walk home. One afternoon, we stopped to eat blackberries on the way home. We got into a hornet’s nest and they started to sting Celie. I told her to stand still, because Dad had always said that if you stand still, they won’t bother you. She stood still while all of those hornets were attacking her. When I realized they weren’t going to stop, I yelled; “Celie, run for your life.” We ran as fast as we could and got away from the hornets, but poor Celie looked like she had chicken pox. My Dad was in trouble with Mom that evening. He explained that if there was one insect, it was all right to stand still, but if there was a swarm, it wouldn’t work.

Mom was superstitious. We were not allowed to open an umbrella in the house, nor to have thirteen places set at the table. She did a lot of canning - we would seed cherries and peel peaches and husk the corn for her. As late as the 1930’s she would make home-made lye soap in a big black outdoor iron kettle over an open fire. She would bake bread three times a week and we would eat some while still warm. Occasionally she made noodles from flour and eggs. Mom also liked to quilt. She would have Elnora Richter mark the quilt tops with beautiful designs and then put them in a frame in the front room, and when neighbors and relatives would stop in, we would sit around the quilt and sew and talk.

Dad enjoyed threshing time. There were about a dozen farmers in his threshing group. That meant that all of them helped all of the others until all the wheat and oats were harvested. It meant a lot of hard work and fellowship and good home-cooked food. The wives always made sure that the men were well fed.

Dad worked every day of his life, except Sundays, until three days before he died. He worked until sundown in the field, ate supper, and began to experience chest pains. He was taken to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in an ambulance, and three days later he died of coronary occlusion.

Mom built a new house at 110 South County Road in Mascoutah next door to her daughter Clara, where she lived until about 1966, at which time she entered the Grange Nursing Home, where she stayed until her death of natural causes.

I offer you my memories Mildred Haas-Fellin 1992
So that you will know
I was once a little girl
Not so long ago.



1 Mildred Haas-Fellin. Surety: 3

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created Jun 15, 2008 with Legacy 6.0 from Millennia